Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cooking Liberian Food



This weekend, I do not have much knitting time. I am cooking and preparing for my boy friend's visit in a couple of weekends. We met in 2005 when I was in Monrovia, Liberia (West Africa). His sister Vero was my best friend in Liberia. I met him at her house one day. He was visiting from the U.S. (he has U.S. citizenship).

Dieses Wochenende habe ich nicht viel Zeit zum stricken. Ich bin am kochen um Essen vorzubereiten when mein Freund kommt am Ende des Monats. Wir haben uns in 2005 in Monrovia, Liberia (West Afrika) kennengelernt. Seine Schwester Vero war meine beste Freundin in Libieria. Ich habe ihn dort auch bei ihr zu Hause kennengelernt. Er ist zwar gebürtig von Liberia, aber lebt schon seit langer Zeit in den USA. Er war auch aus Amerika zu Besuch.

I don't have much time to cook during the week and next weekend, I will be too busy too. Thus, I figured that if I cook up all the food now, freeze it, then I just will have to cook some rice and heat up the "soups" (that is what they are called in Liberia).

The first thing that I cooked is Jollof Rice. This is simple to prepare and is super tasty. My girls love this rice. If anybody is interested, let me know and I will post the recipe.
I made several bowls worth - just before going into the freezer
Next, I prepared three "soups" - one is with okra, another with pumpkin seeds and a third just with plain sauce.

Goat soup with greens in a sauce prepared with palm oil
Beef soup with a creole type sauce prepared with palm oil

Goat soup made with small beans, greens prepared with palm oil
Of course, there is fufu that is eaten with almost all West African meals. I do not like it at all! But he does and so do my daughters.

Fufu - ready to go into the freezer

I had to fight my girls away from the food!

Off into the freezer...

I will also prepare another Liberian dish Palm Butter Soup with some chicken or goat. I have to go to the specialty shop to get the meat. I prefer chicken but I am outnumbered.




1 comment:

  1. How ambitious and accommodating you are, I don't know how you manage to get it all done (without clones). The rice, okra, greens and pumpkin seeds sound good; the rest I am not so sure but I'm sure the kitchen smelled good enough to eat. I'm with you on the chicken (or shrimp). I hope he's worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete